Welcome

Welcome to my official blog! I'm the author of Winterborn, a middle grade fairy tale. Click on the Winterborn tab to read a description and the first chapter of the book.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

You Can't Get There from Here

I am currently writing a story for adults, and everything was going swimmingly until I was almost at the end of the story, but I didn't feel right about it.

This is usually when I go to a brainstorm document and just start talking to myself about the problem, the ideas for the solution and why they wouldn't work. That's when I realized that the reason my ending didn't feel right was because I hadn't set it up right.

In order for the ending to work, I had to plant these seeds earlier in the story, but I hadn't. That's probably why the story felt out of balance. I had building tension and things happening that needed to happen, but it wasn't enough. Although the story was good, the ending wasn't fitting because, basically, I couldn't get there from where I was.

I needed to go back to the beginning and start setting things up so that when this ending happened, it would totally make sense. Instead it was almost as if I had cheated and threw in something off the wall because I'm the writer, and I can do what I want.

Bottom line: the ending has to be set up from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment